Thursday, March 20, 2008

swank on liberation theology

Some of what Mr. Swank has said about Black Liberation Theology is true -- and he's made good points about the intent of Liberation Theology, I think. He hasn't always, though, and I read the general thrust of his take as wrongheaded. But this (link) is just nonsense.

And re: liberation theology generally: if those with worldly power have made you suffer by keeping you from participating in worldly power, it ain't fair and it ain't right, but, the Kingdom of Heaven is about rejecting worldly power altogether and embracing unconditional Love in the name of Jesus. Liberation comes through the practice of love, as I see it. Now I know there are those who understand Jesus' message as one primarily of social change and social justice -- and I can't deny that His message is also that. But the Kingdom? It isn't of this world. If we realize it though, it utterly transforms this world.

So it goes: Love, then Justice.

No comments: