Monday, February 4, 2008

christians and buddhists

Here's a nice essay by John Shore [link to Crosswalk.com] [link to his blog].
Excerpt:


That our Christian friend in the orange cap meant well isn’t in question. Of course he only wanted what was best for Catherine and me. But he failed to interest us in Christianity because his evangelizing effort was grounded in what all such efforts are necessarily grounded in: A lack of respect on the part of the evangelizer. He didn’t respect us, or our belief system.

By disrespecting us, the evangelizer proved to my wife and me that he did not love us, because love without respect is no love at all. And by not loving us, that brother was breaking what Jesus himself called the greatest law of all: To love your neighbor as you love yourself.

I’m a Christian, and proud of it. But unless I’m missing something so huge it’d be like a car parked in my living room, that Christian was violating Christ’s most important and explict directive to all Christians. I’d like that not to be true, but I just can’t see how it isn’t.

Evangelicals are killing Christianity, y'all... at least it looks like they're trying their damndest to.

Anybody ever heard of Kennedy Roshi? Or Habito Roshi?

(And look at good old Deshimaru here, making fun of Bodhidharma... Can your Oklahoma City evangelical make fun of Moses or Paul?)

1 comment:

John Shore said...

Thanks for the kind words and link. AWESOME PHOTO.